Featured Article(read more)
This article is included in the following book
TheKnowledge - peer learning for digital strategy in culture
BUY THE BOOK
READ ONLINE FOR FREE
Featured Article Archive
- Digital Publishing - Say goodbye to dusty store rooms full of unsold books! - from the Knowledge book, an introduction to digital publishing. April 2012
- Danger: Contains Books - By Simon Worthington from a recent book I Read Where I Am publishing to coincide with the conference The Unbound Book, May 2011, Amsterdam.
Featured Peer Research
In this first round of new peer-research with the attempt to break free from Twitter and Facebook we haven't been completely successful in achieving our goal, but we could say we're en route, so if anyone want to lend a hand then help is appreciated.
Levels of privacy?
From a series of group meetings and discussions a consensus was reached about the minimum level of privacy people found acceptable, given our shared networked lives, if you want to enjoy mobile and social media, without having to get 80s-retro-hipster and use CB radio and mix-tapes. Firstly this meant that living with a mobile was a necessity and since every utterance of the breath, thumbed word, data-packet and movement is being farmed by someone that by comparison escaping social media's privacy intrusions seems relatively simple compared to dumping the mobile.
A starting position was agreed for dealing with social media, and that for one reason or another as a gig promoter or activist social media was a necessary evil, but at least putting a barrier between your personal 'social graph' and the bad guys would be a good start. (read more)
Crowd funding has been around on the net for a long time and the WikiPedia page gives an interesting read [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowd_funding ].
Now in a matured to a state crowd funding is offered by a variety web services offer easy to use campaign tools as a one-stop-shop, that allow you to broadcast your story, collect donations and offer rewards from partners and affiliates.
The hope is that these web services take the headache and cost out of running a campaign and can also help moving away from patrons and friends scheme and making friends with philanthropic bankers.
An early and successful crown funding service was Sellaband [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sellaband ] which worked around the model of pre-funding, allowed donors to fund a band and then the group would record the song and the funders get a reward. Pre-funding is still the dominant model, you pitch your project with a short video, tell your story and set the amount you want to raise and the deadline. (read more)
Peer Research Archive
- Publishing to the iBookstore- In order to sell your books on iBookstore, you must first apply to create either a Paid Books Account or a Free Books Account.
- Making a non-corporate Social Media strategy-The objective of this project is to build a social media strategy that can be put into place by a small organisation and ensure they get the benefits of social media without contributing to the 'Graph' value production of corporates and ensuring privacy for participants.
- Progressive Publishing System - Progressive Publishing System is a system for creating eBooks, converting word processing docs and Google docs into eBooks.